Sunday 13 November 2016

Vendetta by Catherine Doyle

Hello!

I'm back with another review!

Today I am going to be reviewing book one in Catherine Doyle's blood for blood saga, Vendetta!

I'm obsessed with this series, in fact both books made it on to my shelf with Sarah J Maas and Cassandra Clare, which is in other words my favourite shelf.

This book is the romantic thriller genre but when I purchased the book I had absolutely no clue what it was about, all I knew was that people have been talking about it and I have only ever heard good things.

I don't want to tell those of you who haven't read the book much about it simply because I myself really enjoyed not knowing a great deal but don't worry I'll leave you with a nice short cryptic little  explanation to intrigue you further.

Sophie Gracewell has a pretty dull summer ahead of her working shifts at her family's diner until one day five brothers move into the old, deserted house known as Priestly manor. But are the brothers who they appear to be?

I would one hundred percent recommend this book to anyone looking for a real page turner, a book that is utterly impossible to put down. Honestly, whilst reading this book no matter how many times I tried to put it down, five minutes later I had picked it up and was reading more. You won't be able to rest until you know what happens and then you will instantly need the second one and then after that you will be forced to wait for the third (and final) book which doesn't come out until January. I can't wait that long!

Anyways, for those of you still to read the book I hope you enjoy but for those of you have already read it then please stay with me as I move into the spoiler section where I will discuss different aspects of the book.

*SPOILER SECTION

First of all, can we please discuss Nic's character? Sorry, Nicoli, I don't think he's worthy of a nickname. I have never met a more unlikeable character. He lies about everything and anything, sure Nicoli lies about lying. He is deceitful and definitely not worthy Sophie. What makes Nicoli even more irritating is that he always thinks he is right about everything when he is rarely right about anything. Seriously, how does he think that it acceptable to shoot someone? Then after shooting Sophie's uncle he goes to the hospital and pretends like nothing ever happened. As usual, he's convinced he's done nothing and poor Sophie is so out of it that she can't get him to go away.

Next, I would love to talk about Millie, Sophie's best friend. Millie is such a good person, I mean just look at how good a friend she is to Sophie. She has stuck by Sophie through thick and thin. Millie, is a character who brings light into the story, she is a character who we readers can relate to more so than other characters. Based on the nature of this novel and the story line it can be really hard to make a connection with many of the characters but Millie isn't like this which is why I think it is so important that she is there for us, readers and of course for Sophie. I don't think Sophie would be very strong character without Millie which is why I really appreciate her presence in the novel.

Another character I have been eager to discuss is Luca. I absolutely love him and this love grows throughout this series but obviously since this is a review of book one I will stick to book one. I love the relationship he and Sophie have in Vendetta. I love his witty remarks and comebacks which never failed to make me laugh. Let's skip to the end of the book for a minute, when Luca got shot. Even the way it's described through Sophie's eyes as how it was like a scene from the movies where it is always slow and dramatic. When Luca was shot it was quick and he was lying on the ground in a pool of blood when just seconds before he was up on his feet. This is effective because it creates tension for us readers but it also gives us an insight into how Sophie feels about the situation and  I think that it's obvious that she isn't happy. I was so happy that Sophie took action and saved Luca because if he died let's just say there would have been a lot of tears involved. I loved their little passing of notes on the last page, I especially loved Nic's confusion because well, it serves him right!

Sophie I think is a good protagonist and I like her a lot. I feel like she is such a strong character at the start of Vendetta considering all that she has been through already with her father being in prison, I mean she is working at the diner to help with the situation at her home and also she has to deal with people gossiping about her every move. By the end, of Vendetta she is stronger still and went through so much. Throughout the novel she was brave and fearless and made some quite stupid decisions, but good stupid decisions if you know what I mean.

Overall I absolutely loved this book, it was filled with such interesting characters and an original story line.

I can't wait to review the sequel to Vendetta called Inferno! Please let me know what your thoughts are on this book?

Bye!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...