Friday 22 January 2016

Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom

Review Of Not if I See You First by Eric Lindstrom

Note- as I read a proof copy, this may not be completely accurate 

This book came out very recently. I think it was the end of 2015. I was lucky enough to receive a proof copy of this book which I was very happy about. 

It is in the comtempory genre. 

I really enjoyed this book. For starters the main the main character is blind that is something we don't see to often in YA books. In fact I never have, How hard must it have been for Eric Lindstrom to write a book like this? I should also mention that it is actually written in first person.

I think that if you haven't read this book yet then you definately should put it on your To be read list. It is a very enjoyable read.

Now I will mention this however, you have to be prepared for the main character, Parker to be unlikeable at certain stages of the book and there will definately moments in which you will be asking her what in the world she's doing. Parker has major trust issues making her come across harsh and heartless sometimes but she is blind. How would you act? Any way this leads to Parker creating a list of rules number one being to never use her blindness to deceive her in any way. 

A friend of Parker's broke this rule which could not have helped her trust issues and the way she can act sometimes. I think this book is not about just about being blind, I think it is a story about learning to have trust and even people who aren't blind can relate. 

I actually really enjoyed reading Parker's story, her voice feels real and is telling the story of how she manages her situation, it can't be easy and Parker proves this but she also proves to us how strong she is throughout the book. 

So I really hope you enjoy this book. I really did, it really made me think what would it be like to see nothing? 

*Spoiler Section

I don't have much to say for this section but I do want to talk about a certain character.

Scott. I felt so sorry for him throughout that book especially because what happened was not his fault. I wonder how Parker managed to keep that grudge for two whole years? I couldn't if he were my best friend although she must have felt betrayed. 

There are a couple of flaws that I noticed with the book, one minute Parker didn't want anything to do with Scott but then all of a sudden she wanted to be his best friend? 
So I think the pacing of the story could be better. It might have been better for Parker to hold her grudge for a shorter length of time to make things more realistic. Don't get me wrong I loved the book. I loved the characters, everything. A great debut novel from Eric Lindstrom. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...